Start your New Year right with Effective Bird Control! This blog post will offer a great source of informative facts about Pigeons and the multitude of problems they cause as a result of their irritating and bothersome features each of the feathered creatures possess. Our FAQs blog can assist your bird deterrent journey this 2019, read on for more information.
What diseases do pigeons cause?
When Pigeons produce faeces, it is more than likely that their excrements are riddled with a variety of harmful diseases. It is important to be aware of how and why these are caused and how they can be prevented over time. Some of the main bird diseases include:
- Avian Influenza: This disease is also known as Bird Flu and even though the case is very unlikely that it is spread to humans, the development of new bird strains is increasing the risk of the disease being easily spread amongst the human population. In serious cases, it can cause fatality to humans as a result of close, personal contact with birds or their droppings.
- Cryptococcosis: A common disease occurring in birds due to the presence of fungus in dried pigeon droppings. Similar to many other transmissible diseases in birds, this disease can lead to respiratory problems, skin lesions and the infection can spread to the brain resulting in death. Cryptococcosis can be contracted from bird to human relatively easily, and the risk is increased when you are in close proximity of the faeces.
- Histoplasmosis: Is an infection caused by breathing in spores found within bird droppings. It is typically transmitted when the spores become airborne and it is most likely to be contracted when cleaning bird excrement and it is for this reason, we recommend hiring us to do this job for you. Symptoms can also prove difficult to detect.
- Parrot Fever: Also known as Psittacosis, this airborne diseasecan be transferred easily as a result ofbecoming in close contact to any droppings and feathers. People who have a bird as a pet and are regularly in contact with pigeons are at a higher risk of developing psittacosis and these infectious diseases can be detrimental towards human health and can become a serious health hazard when left to fester.
What are some of the most popular pigeon deterrent devices?
Deterring birds can prove difficult if you lack the capabilities and knowledge in order to do so. Here at Effective Bird Control, our aim is to provide people with the information and correct devices which will benefit and aid the prevention of problems which pigeons can cause.
Bird deterrent devices come in the form of visual, audible and physical repellents, all specifically designed to discourage the presence of pigeons nesting and producing destruction onto your property. Our services at Effective Bird Control solely target to permanently reduce pigeon flock and the issues that they cause. Some of our preventatives include:
- Anti-Roost Wire
- Pigeon Netting
- Hawk Kites
- Pigeon Spikes
- Flying Hawks
- Pigeon Trapping
What food attracts pigeons to my premises?
Although a pigeon’s natural diet mainly consists of seeds and grain, over the years they have learnt to exploit an array of food and drink sources, including fast food, litter, household scraps and even your garden crops; this especially during certain seasons when their typical nutrition is unavailable to them.
- Feral Pigeons: The growing concern of deliberately feeding urban pigeons is that it inevitably becomes their main victual source and as a result, they become reliant on humans when it comes to feeding time. When leaving remains of your household food around you are ultimately attracting feral pigeons and are therefore contributing to the problem of potential feral pigeons nesting on your premises. However, this type of pigeon is more likely to feed in highly populated areas such as the city, where a larger population means an increase in litter.
- Domestic Pigeons: Typically, the eating habits of domestic pigeons include their natural diet such as peas, corn, wheat, grains, sorghum and other various seeds. Therefore, it is probable that domestic pigeons will feast in agricultural areas where there is an increase in the amount of farming and natural nourishments. Unlike feral birds, domestic pigeons do not have access to leftovers and for this reason, they may resort to exploiting crops in fields. However, flocks will rarely ever feed in rural areas but if they are seen consuming foods, they are most likely to be domesticated racing pigeons.
How can I prevent pigeons settling onto my property?
With the aid of our blog and specialist services you can gain a wealth of knowledge about feathered friends, which will help to discourage pesky pigeons from your premises, no matter how big or small your pest problem may be.
As the New Year is now upon us and you may be searching for preventative measures in order to reduce the risk of pests ruining your home/property and surroundings. Kick-start your 2019 by gaining a deeper understanding which will allow you to prevent pests from roosting on your property, as well as eliminate any potential attraction that gives them an incentive to hang around. Acquiring the correct information for the removal of pigeons can prove challenging at times, however Effective Bird Control will not only provide detailed and informative answers to the queries you have, but we will also carefully supply and install deterrents to ensure a maximum success rate which deters pigeons permanently. Contact us today by enquiring or calling us on 01621 779823.